Help when you need it.
In 2013 we introduced our online mentors program for Cyber Aces Online courses. 10 mentors volunteered
their time, energy, and impressive knowledge to help participants whenever they encountered trouble.
Eight of the mentors were volunteers from SANS, another from the University of Virginia, and another
from Blue Ridge Community College. Cyber Aces Foundation would like to thank all the mentors for their
176 users registered for the program, generating over 640 answers and helpful suggestions – from both the
mentors and students. Eight live Q&A sessions were held prior to the quizzes. Overall, the introduction
of the online mentor program was a success and we look forward to expanding the program for the 2014
Here’s a small sample of our online mentors and a little about their backgrounds.
- 16 years experience in the IT field.
- Worked as a technician in customer service organizations, network administrator, project manager
implementing new technologies, enterprise architecture technology officer, and supervisor of IT
- Certified in IT Project +, Wireless Network Administration, and in SANS Security Essentials.
- Currently a Senior Security Engineer for the NIH OCIO (National Institutes of Health Office of the
Chief Information Officer) Information Security Program.
- Technical achievements include GSEC, GPEN, GWAPT, RHCT and various Microsoft, Apple and VTC
- A typical day consists of Enterprise Vulnerability Management and Mitigation, Incident Handling and
Response, and development of policies and guidelines at a both a Federal level and for the Center
for Internet Security.
- Also a SANS Mentor and has taught both general IT and security focused classes for several years.
- Community SANS instructor teaching primarily in Intrusion Detection, Incident Handling, Forensics
and Penetration testing.
- When not teaching for SANS, he works for Defence R&D Canada, in the Cyber Operations and Signals
- An STI student working on completing his Master of Information Security Management
- Certifications include GIACs GSLC, GPEN, GCIH, GSEC, GCFA, and GAWN certifications, is a current
CISSP, and is also a Professional Engineer.
- Over 15 years’ experience as a network and systems administrator, with a wide range of experience,
including firewall management, VOIP, Novell Netware, Windows Servers, MS SQL, Exchange, Citrix
XenApp, virtualization technologies, IP cameras, and policy writing.
- Certifications from Novell, Microsoft, Citrix, and GIAC
- 13 years experience in security, networking, and servers, currently employed at Blue Ridge Community
- I enjoy the technical aspects of security; setting up and monitoring IPS and IDS, and evaluating
packet captures for malware
- I’ve been working with kids in one way or another for much of my life. I taught math and was “the
computer guy” at our school for six years.